Saturday, November 20, 2010

I'm still here... and still freebie hunting

Phew! I've been amiss from this blog for a  good fortnight or so and I apologize - I had to impose a ban on myself.  Not from you so much lol, but from downloading any more freebies until I managed to wrestle down the 50 GIG zip archive I already had (and that's just on one computer, all up I have 130G to unzip) as it was making my computer very sluggish and blogging, not to mention ANYTHING else was exceptionally slow.  Mind you, I did happen to make a decent dent in the ominous "unzipped" folder which will now ensure I can open Photoshop at least, lol
 I didn't have any room for months to allocate to the scratch discs (whatever they are - I set mine to be 3 GB do you think this is enough, wisely designer peeps -who may read this?)


As you may recall, last week was IDSD  (International Digital Scrap-booking Day) and there was 14 pages of Craft Crave just to begin with, five worthwhile blog trains and of course the Goodie Train. I liked the novelty and prettiness of the theme, The Orient but I think overall some designers felt extremely inspired by the palette and theme but generally most designers most of felt a little flummoxed/stifled at how to create original pieces, for instance I now have fifteen geisha elements and twenty Asian coins, which I think I won't ever use, but I couldn't resist their cuteness. Fall Carnival remains my number one contender for best train of the year. Did you spend up big on the DSD weekend?  One of my biggest motivators for designing myself is so I can raise just a small amount of funds to spend on paid kits - they really are ten times better than freebies.
And you know that I love my freebies. It's nice to just have everything co-ordinate rather than attempting to disguise the fact you have created a layout from a hodge podge mix of different designers, kits and colour schemes. However, beggars must not be choosers and for now, I am extremely grateful that freebies exist, so I can partake in this excellent creative outlet - I find just the process of planning layouts and collecting freebies cathartic, so I can imagine actually using my collection will be an immensely rewarding task. I still have only made one measly layout. But I am going to change that this week, as I am ready to post some layouts here - not on any gallery yet (argh!) and we can all have a chuckle - I am sure that I will be my own best/worst critic!

I also really enjoy MScraps (but how could you not with all of those esteemed designers in one place!) and lately I have been really impressed with the generosity of CatScrap, and have some beautiful QP albums as a result.  What are your favorite blog trains?  Do you prefer PSP heavy trains such as The Brat Pack Train or prefer the minimal elegance of an Mscraps train?  I do love Jen Yurko's contributions every time along with many others (ok I will name names but my memory is flawed remember so excuse me if I spell you wrong or get the name muddled, I am recalling these from the top of one's head!)  Doodelle, Scrap Matters peeps, Pixel Perfect Designs, Flergs, Ellie Lash, Vicki - A Work In Progress, Fei-Fei's Stuff, Captivated Visions, Caged Bird Designs, Aprilsa Designs -- ooh I know I am missing some, so I might in fact put together a list of best blog train submissions and award a prize - maybe take a vote?  Yes, let's do that.
Let me know if you have a blog train favorite or perhaps you yourself are a designer, you are most welcome to nominate yourself (encouraged even!)

 and I was right back to the red zone, with only 96mb to run the pc on (I do not recommend this, weird things start happening, I have expected to open my case and see twenty mischievous goblins having a drunken party inside, such was the inoperability of my computer.
Even though I'm 31 and therefore still acceptably permitted in nightclubs without looking entirely desperado, I am a bona-fide geek-chic. Give me gigabytes over an ice cold G&T any day.  I've always been enchanted with the  border-less freedom and instantly teleporting to a million (billion) cultures and locations of the Internet.. In fact, I was rather hoping the enamourment  would subside into something less intoxicating, so I can return to the days of bone idle laziness occasionally.  "Whatever can I do with myself today?" that seemed reassuring rather than the frenetic nojob ever gets finished before another one starts pace of middle age.  Remember being bored?  Doesn't it seem like ions ago, much before kids, careers that will not wait and everyone wanting a little piece of you that you can't even find for yourself thesedays?  Yes, the internet is speedy time travel and my cultural passport with a click of the mouse.

You may have noticed I left a particularly touching comment or feedback on your blog, and this is why you are now reading this, as I left a link - that is not self-promotion really, as I travel to hundreds of blogs in a week and have no way of ever finding out what the designer or writer said in response, it's quite sad really. But, it won't stop me from leaving these warm-fuzzies or customer feedback (which as I am qualified in Marketing Research and customer relations, I'm one of those  "can sell ice to eskimoes kind of girl" ).

 I have decided I will post my comments here, so I can remember them and also invite my readers to add their thoughts and opinions, besides I do wish to model " Freebie Fan Club Model Behaviour Code" which states that leaving contexual comments on posts that you feel you are taking something valuable from away from or you just feel implored to cheer that designer up who for baffling reasons seems to have no readers judging from the appalling lack of thanks or comments, despite having a downloaded tally in the hundreds for the hard work and talent they share.
I always like to make those designers feel heard - it can be very unnerving to be carrying on daily diatribes and conversations with oneself, in reality this is called insanity but online - it is called Blogging!

So, on that note,   Goodbye to myself - and to whomever may be reading along.
I'll be posting more regularly now, this was quite easy to type (as I love to write and talk - can you tell lol?)
and I will be sharing my commentary on what posts I have read and commented on, which will provide some interesting discussion and exploration of some excellent designing talent at very least.

Fondly,
Miss Renee

p.s Spread the word and my link, I would be eternally grateful - talking to oneself can get terribly mediocre!
I am now going to list the freebies via my side link - which I will update every day (if needed) This way I can also share discussion and freebie hunting tips and news in the main blog post for our beloved readers.
Always check the sidebars for great links to great freebies - all personally handchosen by myself and if you work down the list, you will be assured of getting the maximum hit of freebie goodness from all over the world. So get your google translate ready - because a good freebie hunter must be fluent in all languages freebie style!    Telecharger away!

No comments: